You can practice with yourself or with a colleague anytime, but if AskAway is open, please use Campfire staff chat to let the AskAwayers staffing the service know that you are practicing, as they'll see your name pop up in the chat monitor.
To practice with a colleague from YOUR OWN library or with yourself:
- Go to QuestionPoint and login with your 6-digit QuestionPoint user ID and password.
- Click on Launch Chat on the left-hand sidebar.
- In the queue selection screen, check Practice Queue Only and click Submit.
- To ask a practice question, go back to the My QuestionPoint screen and click on Chat Patron Practice Form. You will both see the question come in.
If you would like to practice with a colleague from another library, you cannot use the Practice Queue. Each institution has a separate Practice Queue, so you will not "see" practice questions sent in by the other librarian. Therefore, you must practice in the main queue, the same one which users come in on.
Please do the following when you are practicing in the main queue:
1. Practice ONLY during hours when the VR service is OPEN, i.e. 10-9 Sunday-Thursday and 11-5 Friday & Saturday. If you practice at other times, your monitoring of the main queue opens the service and you may get real questions from real users.
2. Go to www.questionpoint.org and click on Librarian Login at the top right. Login with your 6-digit QuestionPoint user ID and password.
3. Click on Launch Chat on the left-hand sidebar.
4. In the queue selection screen, check Practice Queue Only and click Submit.
5. The person playing the patron role should go back to the MyQuestionPoint screen and click the Chat Patron Practice Form link. In the Name field, enter something like this: PRACTICE FOR GORDON
6. At the end of the practice session, the person playing the librarian role should choose the Resolution code "Practice" so that the session is not included in the chat statistics.
Use Peer Transcript Review: Evaluation Criteria to help you review and evaluate your transcripts.